Monday, April 7, 2008

"Passion" (6 of 6)

I saved this one for last because it's my favorite of the six. Sometime in September or October, I started noticing these strange flowers growing on a vine outside of my house in Florida. Soon, the vine was full of these passion flowers. I had no idea what they were, but I after some searching, found them on the internet. I probably took at least a hundred pictures of these because I'm so fascinated with them. In fact, I have one that I colorized and had printed on a canvas to hang in my bathroom. After the flowers died, a passion fruit would grow from the middle. Unfortunately, I moved back to WV before the fruit was ripe so I didn't get to try any of them.

In the 15th and 16th centuries, Spanish missionaries used these flowers to explain the crucifixion of Christ. The history behind this flower makes this image even more meaningful to me.



"I’m fascinated by this strange and amazing passion flower and this photo
is only one of many that I took. This intricate flower is not only
beautiful to the eyes, but also representative of the Passion of Christ.
The elements of the flower represent the crown of thorns, the ten apostles,
the five wounds, and three nails. As this flower dies, a passion fruit emerges
from the middle of the flower giving it a second life."

1 comment: